Learn about the rainfall in your area. Make your own rain gauge.
- Clear soft drink bottle
- Marker pen
- Take the lid off a soft drink bottle and cut the top section off.
- Use a ruler and pen to mark the measurements on the side of the bottle. Begin your measuring just above the base of the bottle.
- Put some stones in the bottom of the bottle and fill the base with water to the point where you started your measuring.
- Slide the inverted top into the base
- Find a place outside where it will not get knocked over. Make sure it is not under a tree or too close to a building so that will reduce the amount of rain that is collected.
- Wait for it to rain and measure how much rain has fallen